Local Activities & Events
- Science North: For over 20 years, Greater Sudbury has been the proud home to Science North, Northern Ontario’s most popular tourist attraction.
- Dynamic Earth: As a sister attraction of Science North, Dynamic Earth features interactive exhibits and multimedia shows that highlight the area’s unique geology and rich mining heritage.
- Museums/Art Gallery: Visit Sudbury’s many museums, art galleries and other cultural attractions and get to know the story of our city!
- Sudbury Downs: Sudbury downs offers live harness racing Wednesdays and Saturdays, April to November plus Sundays in July and August. Post time 7:15 p.m. The Ontario Sire Stakes makes monthly stops, June through October, and Teletheatre wagering is offered year round. OLG Slots at Sudbury Downs is a great choice of fun and entertainment with hundreds of exciting slots ranging from five-cents to five-dollars. There’s never a dull moment with on-site restaurants and a variety of year-round entertainment. OLG Slots is open daily with free parking!
- Shopping Rainbow Centre: The City of Greater Sudbury is experiencing unprecedented growth in the retail sector and has become the destination shopping centre for all of Northern Ontario. The Rainbow Centre is expanding and renovating and we are inviting you to be part of this new concept.
- Shopping New Sudbury Centre: Northern Ontario’s largest and most fashion forward shopping centre, features 110 stores and services. The centre has recently undergone an extensive redevelopment resulting in more shopping choices than ever before.
- Rio Can Centre: Rio Can Centre: All the Big Box retailers in one convenient area. Come browse the shelves at Chapters then relax for a while at Starbucks, see what’s in stock at Linens’N’Things, HomeSense or Pier 1 Imports. Does your pooch need a new toy? Petsmart has an unbelievable selection. Step a little lighter in a new pair of shoes from The Shoe Company. And so much more!!! All located off the Kingsway between Barrydowne and Falconbridge roads. New additions include Best buy, Marshall’s, Lowe’s, and Toys R Us.
Spring & Summer Activities:
- Cortina Cruise Embark on a one-hour tour of Ramsey Lake aboard the Cortina. Docked next to Science North, the 70-passenger cruise boat is fully-enclosed with a licensed snack bar. Operates mid-May to late September.
- Golf Sudbury’s sixteen courses offer a wide variety of challenging holes and outstanding scenery. For nine holes or 18, choose from the best course in the North to accessible executive courses.
- Festivals Sudbury’s outdoor playgrounds and diverse cultural heritage set the stage for an entertaining line up of annual festivals.
- Lady of Lourdes Grotto: Combining beautiful scenery with peaceful reflection, this downtown attraction offers visitors the opportunity to enjoy a family-friendly park environment. With ties to Catholicism, the Grotto’s monuments encourage prayer and meditation for those interested in the park’s faith-based history.
- Mini Golf/Sudbury Kart ways Dinosaur Valley Mini Golf offers 54 holes on 6 different courses with 20 mammoth dinosaurs, dragons and insects. This unique custom-built attraction is dedicated to cancer families.
Sudbury Kartways features a quarter mile go-cart track, batting cages and an 18-hole mini golf course.Website: www.sudburykartways.com
- Camping/Hiking There are several provincial parks in the City of Greater Sudbury.
Rainbow Routes Association is a not for profit organization dedicated to developing the Trans Canada Trail and other networks in the City of Greater Sudbury. Trail Guide is available online.
- Beaches/Boating: Take time to visit one or more of Sudbury’s many beaches during your next visit. Bell Park located in downtown (10 minute walk from the hotel.), is Sudbury’s most treasured park for its beaches, gardens, gazebos, picnic areas, and playgrounds. Many lakes and waterways have boat launches that are free to the public with parking available on-site. Hotel staff can provide a map and directions to various sites.
- Horseback riding: Wagon Wheel Ranch is open year round; the ranch offers scenic trail rides as well as hay and sleigh rides.
Fall & Winter Activities:
- Live Theatre STC is a comfortable, smoke-free environment, equipped with an FM system for the hearing impaired, and wheelchair accessibility. Every seat’s a winner.
Theatre Cambrian is a highly respected non-profit charitable community theatre company offering quality entertainment in Northern Ontario since 1985.
- Cross country Skiing At Onaping Falls Nordics, our goal is to be the best cross-country ski club in the region and beyond. The main trail system is located at Windy Lake Provincial Park a short 40 minute drive north of downtown Sudbury off Highway 144, explore over 15 km of beautifully forested trail set for both the classic and skating enthusiast. Trails offer a wide variety of lengths and levels of difficulty from short, flat beginner loops to longer challenging loops for the experienced skier…and at our higher elevation we are known to have snow when no one else does! Our chalet is open Tuesdays, Thursdays, weekends and holidays and has a concession, washrooms, ski rentals and a warm place to rest. Our trails are open 7 days/week for your skiing pleasure. We also groom a 5km classic trail in Dowling and your club membership gives you access to both trail systems.
- Downhill skiing Enjoy winter weekends of skiing, snowboarding and more. Adanac Ski Hill offers over 240 vertical feet of skiable terrain, including a beginner’s area. Rentals, lessons, and school programs available.
Capreol Ski Hill is a beautiful place to meet your friends for winter fun.
- Skating/Hockey: There are 2 open air skating rinks in Sudbury, Ramsey Lake Skating Path and Queen’s Athletic Field. See the front desk for more information. Sudbury Arena, the 5,000 seat arena is home to the Sudbury Wolves and fast paced OHL Major Junior “A” Hockey.
- Snowmobiling The Sudbury Trail Plan Ring Trail is a unique feature that connects riders to eight trail systems, allowing riders to experience a variety of terrain and scenery.